Sunday, December 14, 2008

It has been a really amazing time here in El Salvador! We have been through a lot as a group. It has been a very interesting experience for me considering this is my first experience abroad. I have noticed that my perception on different situations has been a little skewed since the robbery. I think what has changed the most has been my consciencesness of standing out. Now when passersby mumble something about a "gringa" it is harder for me to brush it off. I feel like more of a target as an American, in El Salvador. I carry around an image of wealth and now more than ever I am nervous about that. Although my nervousness has been raised I have to remember that a robbery could happen anywhere in the world and as long as I am aware of my surroundings everything will be fine.

I have seen more on this trip than i think i have seen in my entire 19 years. This trip has been very integral in my development as a globally aware citizen. I think it is important for people to experience other cultures to erase prejudices and bigotry. In coming to understand different social norms and ideas we are more able to analyze the social norms of our own cultures and develop our own interpretation of how to live. It is important to have a worldly view to live a rich and prosperous life. I think that the exposure is necessary for growth. If one is constantly curious, questioning and learning they will get so much more out individual experiences and relationships. And although we have run into a couple of "bad apples" a majority of the people that live here are really great. Their pasts have pushed them to be passionate and to fight for what they believe is right. People have been so welcoming of our help and have made concerted efforts to make us feel comfortable in this country. I really admire the people working with Circulo, Iris and Chary and everyone else, for everything that they are doing to better the world in which they live. I have so much admiration for their strength and dedication. They are really making a positive difference for so many great people. I also very much appreciate our driver, Douglass, who has helped us stay and feel very safe throughout this entire trip. He has been such an integral part of our experiences here. I appreciate the women at Villa de Serena who have made us feel so at home in a new and sometimes scary place. I also really appreciate Zulema who, along with Michelle and Karyn, has put so much work into making this trip a reality. She has been so great to us through the many many good times. Thank you Zulema! You are a very inspiring individual! As I have said before I am also very inspired by the community of Altos de Jardines. I will miss them when I return to the US.

No comments: